Once when the Lord Jesus needed to pay His taxes, neither He nor any of his disciples had any money. So He sent Peter to catch a fish and get the needed coin out of the fish’s mouth. (See Matthew 17:27 for the story.) God could have provided the money for the Lord Jesus by some other means, but He chose to do it in this manner. Did it matter to Jesus how He got the money? No. What mattered was that God-The-Father provided.
The secret to the Lord Jesus’ success on earth is simply that He lived by a strict obedience to every command that He received from God-the Father. He observed a strict obedience to the leading of the Holy Spirit. He told us so Himself in passages such as:
- John 12:49: “For I did not speak on my own, but the Father who sent me commanded me to say all that I have spoken”
- John 14:10: “Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work.”
- John 14:24: “Anyone who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me.”
- John 14:26: “But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.”
- And Hebrews 2:10-13 quotes the Lord saying “…Even I live by placing my trust in God.” (MSG)
Therefore, in order to be as successful as the Lord Jesus was in His walk on earth, all a believer needs to do is to develop the same strict discipline of obeying, trusting in, and depending on God, that Jesus Himself had lived by.
You may read that last statement and say ‘that’s all it takes?’ And you’d be right in wondering if I’m not being too simplistic, but the simple fact is that walking with God is as simple as it is hard to do. The rules for a successful walk with God are very simple, though not easy to follow. Hence the sad state of Christianity today.
Here are the rules:
- Believe in Christ and receive Him as your Lord and savior.
- Give your life to Him. Meaning, submit your life – everything that makes up your life; everything that you are; everything that you own – under His leadership.
- Consider Him to be your Master. Meaning that He owns you, and you live for one reason only: To serve Him. To do His will.
- Depend on Him for everything in life. Meaning: look to Him for every form of need you could possibly have in this world; look to Him for protection; look to him guidance.
- Obey EVERY instruction and command you receive from Him.
- Comply to His rules for holiness.
Do this faithfully and flawlessly, and YOU WILL succeed as a follower of Christ and WILL see the manifestations of His presence and power in your life! Failure to faithfully and fully observe these rules is the single reason that most believers, especially pastors and ministers, do not adequately represent God in their lives and ministries the way Jesus did.
The first 3 of the Lord Jesus’ statements quoted above say it all: In those statements, He let us understand that He wasn’t just here on His own, but rather that He was ‘inside’ the Father. Meaning that as people saw Him, there was an invisible being that was there as well, but that they were not seeing: The Father. So He was saying that the Father is the main Person who is there, and He Himself is inside the Father. The point is that the work that Jesus came to do, it was the Father who really came to do the work, but He used Jesus to do it. So everything Jesus did, and every word He ever spoke, He did it all because the Father is the one who wanted to do and say those things, but He did it all through Jesus by using Jesus’ mouth and body.
So Jesus TOTALLY availed Himself to be used by God for God to do the things that God wanted to do in this world. Therefore, as long as Jesus followed every command that He received from God by doing everything that God told Him to do, and by speaking everything that God wanted Him to speak, God was able to be God through Jesus!
Brethren, THIS IS ALL that God is asking from us: For us to avail ourselves to be used by Him in the same manner that Jesus did! IT IS THOSE WHO SUCCEED AT THIS WHO TRULY REPRENSENT AND ENJOY CHRISTIANITY, because they get to enjoy the move of God in their lives! The single reason the power of God is not seen through the lives of believers the way it ought to be seen, is the fact that too few of us are willing to pay the price of submitting our lives unto God the way Christ did.
Too many of us let the ways of this world guide our decisions in life because too few of us understand the fact that once saved, we became kings and priests of God-Most-High!
Revelation 1:5-6 tells us: “And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood, 6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.”
God in heaven is King and Priest over the whole universe. And on earth He uses believers to perform His kingly and priestly work. So He saves people and uses them to rule as King, and to minister as Priest in this world. Jesus came to show us how this works. He walked about this earth allowing God to rule as King through Him, and to minister to people as Priest through Him. Meaning that Jesus was king and priest in this world only as a representative of God, who is the main King and Priest. And He was able to flawlessly represent God because He flawlessly followed God’s instructions on what to do as King and as Priest. All the people that are suffering in this world, God sees their sufferings and as a Priest He wants to minister His healing, deliverance, empowerment, and blessings unto them. And as the King of this world that He created, He wants to rule over the affairs of this world. He does all that thru people, as He did through Jesus.
So you that are reading this right now, understand this powerful fact: God wants to rule as King and to minister as Priest in this world through you. That’s why He saved you and called you His own. Look closely at the lives of the successful men and women of God that you know, and you will see that the one thing they have in common is their dedication to being used by God in the ways that He wants to use them! They try more than the average believer to live by God’s laws and will for their lives. As they do this they allow God to be God in and through their lives, hence the manifestation of His presence and power in and through their lives!
I have great news for you: This great God is no respecter of persons! He is a respecter of His own principles only! And His principles are that ANYONE who obediently avails himself to be used by God will not be cast away, but will be used indeed! The powerful men and women of God that you know are simply people who decided that they would be as obedient as possible, and that they would serve God as obediently as possible, and God responded to their acts of obedience the same way He responded to Jesus’ own acts of obedience. So He is anxiously waiting for you to give Him the chance to prove Himself mighty in and through your life, for others to see and pursue after you in their quest for God, just as you are currently pursuing those successful men and women of God, and just as the crowds pursued Jesus.
So I encourage you to decide today to do the same as they did:
- Determine to be that great servant that God expect you to be unto Him.
- Determine to walk in His holiness.
- Determine that you will absolutely trust in Him and rely on Him for everything in life!
- Determine to obey every instruction and command you receive from Him.
- Determine to submit yourself to His guidance, and to live ONLY that life that He wants for you.
- Determine to abandon whatever you’re doing and to do only whatever He tells you to do. (He may not necessarily tell you to leave what you’re currently doing, but you need to submit it under His leadership and involve Him in it and follow His directions and how to do it.)
- Determine to consult Him in EVERYTHING you do
- If you’re a minister, NEVER do anything without consulting Him. The church belongs to Him. Never to you. He called you to use you to build His church, not your church. How would you then make any decisions concerning His church without seeking His consent first?
- Determine to ALWAYS do as He has commanded, NO MATTER how difficult the command may be to keep!
Do this and watch Him transform your life into the masterpiece that He had purposed for it to be, to His glory!!!